Saturday, January 9, 2010

Candy bar quilts




Greetings! When my sister and I were little and allowed to go to the grocery store with Mom, when we got to the checkout line we always asked for a treat. If we were good, or less obnoxious than usual, we could pick out one item from the candy display. It was always such a hard choice. The candy bar to eat on the way home? Or the pack of gum that might last a few days? Or if it was hot, we sometimes split a soda from the machine out front. Real soda. That cost 50 cents and came in a glass bottle. We had to agree on whether we wanted grape or orange.

I've carried this concept of treats into adulthood. When I go to the grocery store, I usually pick out my treat first to satisfy my inner child. That way I can talk her out of things by reminding her that there's a donut or other treat waiting, so maybe you should put the pop tarts and ice cream back.

I also like candy bar quilts. Tiny, inexpensive kits that you can make up in an afternoon or evening. When I go to the big quilt shows....or the small ones for that matter, I'm always on the lookout for these little instant gratification projects. The flag quilt above is from Country Threads (www.countrythreads.com). They have some of the best little quilt kits available. I've made three of their kits. For some reason however, I can't find one of them. Sigh. Time to do some more sorting. :)

Anyway, this little flag is 10x12". The darkest color is navy. I quilted the light stripes and around the star. It was quick and easy and I finished it in a couple of hours. Sometimes I like having a quick, almost instant finish, especially when I'm up to my eyeballs in more involved projects that seem to go on forever. It's a good way to keep your quilt mojo humming.

No comments:

Post a Comment