Sunday, January 24, 2010

The world's ugliest baby quilt

Have you ever made a quilt that you just hated everything about it? This is one of those for me. I made it to order for a client who wanted pink, brown and purple. I had a devil of a time finding fabrics that go together. Most of the pinks that go with brown are of a slightly orangier tone like the reproduction fabrics. Baby pinks are truer pinks. Plus, because I was on a budget I was limited to the selections at my JoAnn's. Now the pink and brown prints go pretty well together, and the pink and purple prints work too. When you mixed them up....well...it's not my favorite quilt ever (Sorry, P.).

I cut the squares using my Accuquilt GO! which took a couple of hours at the most. The pattern is a Disappearing Nine Patch which went together quickly. I tried machine quilting three large flowers like the one print, then did a loose stipple around them. I think my machine hated the quilt too, because I fought with the bobbins the entire time. I picked out dozens of rats' nests. I fully anticipate that the quilting will all come out after it's been washed three times.

The only good thing about this quilt is that I finished it on time. I was so glad to see it go I didn't even insure it when I shipped it.

No comments:

Post a Comment