Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Behemoth

So, I mentioned yesterday we were shopping for an exercise machine. Yesterday was shopping trip number two. We chose the Schwinn 420 elliptical machine, now affectionately called, the Behemoth.

The folks at the store helped us get it in the car, but we had to unload it at this end. The Behemoth weighs 160 lbs. in the box. We managed to slide it up the stairs with Mr. Belfry pushing and me pulling. That was a workout right there. There's a reason we need exercise equipment. I'm still sore today.
Oh, did I mention we had to assemble it too? I think the best test for how strong your marriage is, is to assemble a complicated piece of furniture or machinery. We did quite well I thought. The sales guy said it takes their staff a little over an hour to assemble it. It took us about three. We got to the end of the directions and had two screws and one part left over. Never a good sign. The screws, we discovered, went to an accessory we didn't have. whew! The extra part, however, was supposed to be put on in step three. sigh. Alright, off come the arms, disconnect the peddles, take off the console, unhook 5 screws for the stem....and we couldn't get the electronics disconnected. I think the two parts snap together permanently. The extra piece is a plastic cover, probably to keep dust or debris out of the wheel mechanism, so we cut it apart and wrapped it around the stem. Problem more or less solved. I do need to figure out a way to close up the cut though.

Then it was time to move it. Once you got it out of the box and assembled, the weight was only reduced by like 2 pounds. The Behemoth is also about 5 feet long. We discovered that we wouldn't be able to make the last corner to put it in the back bedroom. So for now, it's living in our bedroom, which doesn't make me very happy, but it is the next best choice. The machine also looked a lot smaller in the store compared to the treadmills, recumbent bikes, and larger ellipticals.

I'll let you know how it goes, but I think for now I'm going to have another cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment