Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Saturday, December 3, 2011
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
I did get a finish for October while I was on vacation. And here it is. I call it "The Pillow of a Thousand Leaves":
Here's what I started with. This is wool pieces hand appliqued on a coarse silk background. The pattern is from Little Pieces by Joan. I did a pumpkin pillow of hers earlier.
And this is what I wanted to finish in October, but it's only half quilted. More pictures coming.
Sunday, September 4, 2011
Yes I realize this is not the most difficult of projects, but it was unfinished. It also gave me time to get a head start on my Fassett snowballs quilt for September. I also finished my Chez Moi 2 quilt top.
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
The other reason this project has dragged on is mechanical difficulties. First, I couldn't get staples for my stapler. Then my electric drill wouldn't hold a charge anymore (It is almost 10 years old). So, I replaced both of those. That took three trips to the hardware store. The other factor is the chairs are a little over engineered. I had to take out 12 screws to get the seats off. Four of them had to be done manually since I don't have an extension for my new drill. I did learn that if you are taking apart a piece of wooden furniture, if you leave it long enough the parts will change shape and it will not be fun to get the holes to match up again.
Here's the after pic: Not to shabby!
Sunday, August 21, 2011
I missed the deadline for the June UFO. I did finish it except for the binding by the end of the July 4th weekend. This quilt was originally intended to be a Christmas gift. But now I'm not sure. I'm still weighing if it will go with the intended recipient's house or not. hmmm.....
It started out as a pile of partly pieced strips:
I did a pseudo-quilt as you go technique, then came back and did a decorative stitch on each strip. I think I saw something similar in a catalog that inspired me. It's about 40x60".
This was my #6 nephew's graduation quilt. The pattern is Tennessee Waltz. It's been done for awhile. All it needed was a label. I also wanted to get it shipped so he would see it before the rest of the world. Detail shot:
Additionally, I got the binding on two quilts to send to Japan. They're nothing fancy, but they'll keep someone warm. These are going to Quilts 4 Japan.
Friday, August 12, 2011
Last week while I was traveling for a conference with Mr. Belfry, I got through my entire binding pile. Six days in an air-conditioned hotel room. 5 quilts bound. Bliss. Granted, none of them were huge, but they would have had to wait til the cooler fall weather arrived to work on them at home. I've never had a binding pile before. Usually I do the binding as soon as I finish the quilt. I guess that means the challenge is working because I'm finishing things, and the list is getting shorter.
So not only did I finish my June UFO (better late than never), but I also finished my July UFO. And here it is:
I had a few fat quarters to try and figure out a border, but nothing really worked. So, I decided to forgo the border and just finish it. It's around 25x30 inches and quilted in the ditch.
My August UFO is a really, really easy one. I think I put it on the list here, so I'd have a chance to catch up. I am behind where I wanted to be, but I'm still working through the piles very well.