Sunday, March 21, 2010

Road trip, Part II




My last stop for the day, well other than dinner, was Bloomington's newest yarn shop In a Yarn Basket. (www.inayarnbasket.com). They are about 10-15 minutes south of downtown in a shopping center on the west side of Walnut. I didn't take a picture of their sign, but it has a really cute chicken on it.

They have a terrific selection of colors and styles of yarn and many fiber blends. They're really nicely arranged, too. All the wools are together; all the cottons are together. The colors are also laid out well too. Each section looks like a rainbow. These two photos are of the main room. There's also a room to the back that has more yarn and functions as a classroom.

I really liked the way they had their patterns displayed. They were in sheet protectors in pockets on the wall facing out. It was very easy to browse. Much nicer than putting them all in 3-ring binders. I'm not going to pick up a binder and page through it especially an overstuffed one, though I do understand that it's easier space-wise. The eye buys, and it worked here.

Here's what I picked up.



I found a couple of patterns that look easy enough for me. Yes, I'm pushing past just doing scarves and other flat items and trying something that requires fitting and gauge, and even (gasp) sleeves. I'm starting with the shell, so sleeves will come along later. The yarn is a very nice cotton that will be perfect for summer.

Now lest you think I'm just burying myself in yarn, I did finish two projects from the yarn I got two weeks ago. I've also started the third one. However I can't find any of my needlepoint needles to weave the ends in, and you don't get picture til they are completely finished. I know I have a half dozen or more of the things, so I refuse to buy any more. It means I need to sort through my knitting box and drawers and project bags which is on the list of things to do anyway.

That's the fun part of the trip. The less fun part was driving back yesterday. It was 70 and sunny when we left and 35 and snowing when we got home. Ick. I don't think it froze enough to zap any shoots or tree buds up here at least.

I hope it isn't snowing where you are and that you, too, got to fondle some fabric for National Quilting Day.

Ta!
A

No comments:

Post a Comment